City of St. John Council Meeting
August 20th, 2013 - 7:00 P.M.
Others: Rev. Irving Simon, Trish Coleman, Terry Spradley and Carol Riegel
Mayor Owens opened the regular meeting at 7:00 PM.
Additions to the Agenda
- Troy Hanson made a motion to approve these additions to the agenda: a) Appropriation Ordinance #08-20-2013a; b) Voting delegate for League of Kansas Municipalities. Seconded by Kevin Davis. Motion carried 5-0.
- Mark Bryant made a motion to approve the consent agenda which included the following items: a) Approve the minutes of regular meeting held August 6th, 2013; b) Approve Ordinance #1022 Standard Traffic Ordinance; c) Approve Ordinance #1023 Uniform Public Offense Code; d) Approve use of the skating rink for the “Life After School” program on Thursdays & Fridays; e) Approve Appropriation Ordinance #08-20-2013 in the amount of $15,963.50; f) Approve Appropriation Ordinance #08-20-2013a in the amount of $209,208.47. Seconded by Troy Hanson. Motion carried 5-0.
Appropriation Ordinance #08-20-2013 in the amount of $15,963.50
General Fund $ 6,234.65
Meter Deposit Fund 294.26
Sewer Utility 373.45
Water & Light Fund 9,061.14
Appropriation Ordinance #08-20-2013a in the amount of $209,208.47
Nitrate Removal Plant $209,208.47
- Trish Coleman thanked the City for their part in Hot Summer Nights.
- Trish Coleman requested that the website be kept current.
- Bob Stimatze made a motion to remove Richard Lamb from the fire department at Chief Sander’s request as he has moved out of town. Seconded by Mark Bryant.
Motion carried 5-0.
- Mark Bryant made a motion offer Joshua Green a position of on-call officer at $12.00 per hour. Seconded by Troy Hanson. Motion carried 4-1. Bob Stimatze voted nay.
- It was the consensus of the council to have a workshop after the September 3rd regular meeting to review the recommended changes to the police department policy and procedures manual.
Administration – Mel
- Kevin Davis made a motion for a 15 minute executive session for attorney/client privilege for discussion of property at 402 N. Main to include mayor, council, Rod Lyons, Mel Chesbro and Johnna Stanford. Seconded by Bob Stimatze. Motion carried 5-0. In at 7:17. Reconvened at 7:32.
- Troy Hanson made a motion for a 5 minute executive session for attorney/client privilege for discussion of property at 402 N. Main to include mayor, council, Rod Lyons, Mel Chesbro and Johnna Stanford. Seconded by Mark Bryant. Motion carried 5-0. In at 7:32. Reconvened at 7:37.
Administration – Johnna
- Troy Hanson made a motion to designate Kevin Davis the Voting Delegate and Mark Bryant the Alternate Voting Delegate to represent the City of St. John with the League of Kansas Municipalities Seconded by Bob Stimatze. Motion carried 4-1. Kevin Davis voted nay.
- Kevin Davis made a motion to adopt Ordinance #1021 setting bulk water rates.
Seconded by Mark Bryant. Motion carried 5-0.
ORDINANCE SETTING BULK WATER RATES
ORDINANCE NO. 1021
Whereas the City of St John, Kansas does not have an established bulk water rate for bulk water sold by the tank load:
Now therefore be it ordained by the City of St John, that the followed amendment be made to the water rates found in City Code Section 15-221.
New Code subsection:
15-221 (e) Bulk Water rates: The rate for water sold by the tank load in bulk form shall cost $9.00 per thousand gallons.
This ordinance is hereby passed this 20th day of August, 2013, and shall be effective after its publication in the official city paper.
- Kevin Davis made a motion to adopt Ordinance #1020 setting utility deposit amounts.
Seconded by Troy Hanson. Motion carried 5-0.
ORDINANCE NO. 1020
AN ORDINANCE SETTING UTILITY DEPOSIT AMOUNTS
Whereas K.S.A. 12.-808c was amended changing the amount of utility deposit which a City might withhold from a utility customer for water, sewer, electrical, solid waste and storm water sewer services,
And whereas City Code 15-105 states that the amount of utility deposit shall be set by ordinance from time to time by the City Council.
Now therefore be it ordained that the following amounts and formula should be used to determine the amount of utility deposit required pursuant to the above.
- A prospective customer which has no previous history or other record of service or guarantor, shall pay a cash deposit equal to the expected average bills for a three month period for such utility services. The three month average shall be determined by taking the previous 12 months total billings, dividing the total by 4 to determine the 3 month average bill, not to exceed $500.00. $250.00 to be paid with the application for service and remainder with the first bill.
- The expected utility bill shall be determined by using the previous utility billings for the house to be serviced when last occupied.
- “Utility services” means refuse, trash, garbage or other solid waste collection and disposal, sewer, water, gas and electric power services provided by the City of St. John, Kansas.
- Payment Agreement: No payment agreement will be entered into until 12 months of credit has been established with no more than two late payments during the 12 months for any new utility customer.
This ordinance is hereby adopted this 20th day of August, 2013 and shall be effective after its publication in the official city paper.
After no further discussion Mark Bryant made a motion to adjourn. Kevin Davis seconded the motion. Motion carried 5-0. Meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.
Juliann M. Owens, Mayor
Johnna J. G. Stanford, City Clerk